[SGVLUG] Does anyone "geotag" their photos?

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 26 15:09:27 PDT 2008

I'm preparing for a trip or two over the next couple of months, and I see the "hot new thing" to do is to "geotag" your photos and post to google earth or similar.

It turns out I already have something that "will work", but uses a few windows programs along the way -- as I'll only have my laptop, I'll need a linux-only solution if I want to manage any of this during the trip.

I have an old Magellan "Meridian" series GPS, which has an SD slot and will save "tracks" to the card (which means I don't have to mess with any proprietary serial protocol to get the data -- I can read it directly off the card)  GPSBabel will convert the Magellan format to a more standard "GPX" format, and then I'm stuck -- what Linux-based programs are out there that will read the EXIF tags for the date & time of the photo and match them up with a tracked location in the GPX file?  (and subsequently write new GPS-tags to the photo?)

To give you an idea of what this is about, I've posted a .kmz file of some photos I took while walking to lunch friday:  http://home.pacbell.net/osnut/lunchwalk_0425.kmz

the kmz file is just under 400K, (otherwise I'd have included it here) -- I think it has the photos embedded in the file (hence the size) but are only thumbnails (otherwise it'd been megabytes...)