[SGVLUG] OT: portable air conditioners

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 17:31:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

portable units...

I've only dealt with them in data centers...

personally, while I haven't done any scientific
studies.. I don't like them, as often they end
up blowing the hot air into an area which isn't
designed to vent so much hot air.

thus, I would prefer to avoid portables.

---

I've been thinking about the various AC issues
which face us, and from my experience with
various roommates running the AC/heating systems
to the extremes where I can actually imagine the
glaciers shrinking,

have come to the conclusion that the government
should mandate separate zones in all new constructions.
(smart zones, it would be very nice to make each
roomate pay their share to encourage savings...)

also, I have been thinking about retrofitting my
mothers house to have an intake and exhaust fan
system to blow out the hot air in the attic and
pull in the cool air at nights during the summer.
(she still does not have AC, with the proper
night time ventilation and daytime shading of
the windows things work well enough AS long as
it cools down enough at nite.)

best
matti

ps - what I would try: