fyi - my experience with Dreamhost - Re: [SGVLUG] recommend a hosting provider

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Apr 22 18:40:09 PDT 2008

John E. Kreznar wrote:

> Why don't people host their own web servers in these days of broadband
> access?

Hmmmm. Well lets see. That means one must worry about backups, hackers,
ddos, redundant internet connections, etc. Paying a hosting provider
15.00 to 30.00 a month has them take care of all that. I use
vpsland.com. They have fully redundant connectivity to the net, my image
is backed up and if the physical host fails the vm gets migrated all
without me needing to do anything.

> The incremental cost for a static IP address (if not already
> installed) must be less than these hosting services, and all the
> technical and contractual problems are averted.

Um. No. There is a massive cost differential for static IP addresses on
all major providers (verizon/sbc/timewarner).