[SGVLUG] problems reading 2 GB SD card

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Thu Apr 10 14:09:11 PDT 2008

It is an SDHC card?  I ran into a similar issue with SDHC cards.  I
picked up two 4GB SD cards (not knowing that there is a major difference
between SD and SDHC cards) for my Nokia N800.  I knew I had to flash my
tablet to a newer version of BusyBox to make it recognize the card, but
I assumed that my old card readers could read the cards too.  The
physical interface is the same between SD and SDHC cards.  My digital
camera could not recognize the SDHC card at all.  I had to get a new USB
2.0 version card reader to read the SDHC card.  Once I got that, it did
not matter the OS(Windows, Mac, or Nix), the card mounted and is
completely readable.  If these are SDHC cards, then I would check with
the vendor websites to see if they have software upgradeable firmware
and see if they have one to update your card readers.  Chances are slim,
but Canon is usually pretty good about supporting their customers.
Toshiba may have a fix for you.  If all you want is 2Gigs then hopefully
you can return them and replace them for a different type of SD, making
sure it is NOT SDHC.  If memory serves me right standard SD cards
internally are the same up to 2GB, when jumping from 2GB and up, the
internal electronics and logic had to be changed to accommodate the
increased data density, hence the need to change reading/writing devices.

Hope this helps.

--
Mic
North Hollywood, CA