[SGVLUG] Fw: OT: MS VISTA (more pain)

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 13:16:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

--- Tom Emerson <osnut at pacbell.net> wrote:

> This started as an off-topic thread on my HP list about Vista and
> what it can or cannot do (and the troubles that ensued)  Here is one
> message I think folks around here should be aware of...

In the session I attended (lots of pro microsoft) the presenter
asked questions related to opinions of XP vs Vista.

A larger number raised their hands when asked if they
would NOT recommend installing Vista across all of the
desktops... looks like the majority are only having
Vista on systems when they buy NEW systems...

While progress has been made,

Vista STILL has a number of issues with Drivers, especially
with some unmentioned video card maker (?nvidia someone shouted,
I don't know for certain tho.. )

Likewise some issues with performance vs XP (slower.. of course
due to the additional security.. ) SP1 addresses
some of the speed issues...

Vista still has some issues with older software.
(presenter suggested running in a virtual machine,
but an audience member noted that if that application
needed access to hardware, and the older hardware
didn't have updated drivers.. well you would be screwed.)

Presented offered that you don't need to run the
fancy interface Aero ... and thus you don't have
to burn cycles on that...( it's basically candy,
and not required for business purposes... )

THE nice thing about vista:
Better Security model (also read PITA with the
security popups.)
and... a better version of BITlocker
(and do whole drive encryption we were told,
good for the laptop security issues, especially
if the hardware has TPM ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module )

> .. Maybe it is a little
> easier in that you don't have to install a lot of drivers, but I
> really haven't found much you can do (media-wise) on Vista that you
> can't do on 98SE.

hmmmm... iirc windows 98x could only run FAT-32 file systems?
(Thus limiting the partition sizes.. to 32GB iirc)

thus media wise, I would want to have something which can
handle larger files and file systems.

best
matti