OT - Re: [SGVLUG] FYI - MS Heroes event in Anaheim 4/8 get MS sww/o paying

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 17:04:39 PDT 2008

Hi,

> Tom,
>
> Before we can do that we need a legitimate replacement for
> VS2005/2008.
> It's just too easy for those average Joes to pick-up VS and become
> productive that there's no reason for them to use anything else.  At
> this
> point, Linux really doesn't have anything like it.
>
> Jason

MS knows how to play this game.. and offering
good tools which encourage average joes to
jump in will pay dividends in the end.

btw i recall ibm had some good resources
regarding linux development, ..
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/

oh, and this maybe a worthwhile look for people...
http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/W2L/Development/

seriously, a good developer friend of mine basically
implies that MS Visual Studio a "programming tool for dummies"

wish linux had easier to use tools....

== Licenses with the MS software ==

MS SQL server... there's a coupon code to get SQL 2008
when it ships.. have to submit by June to get it.
(special rules if you goto a launch event later than may)

MS server 2008 is the enterprise edition both 32bit and 64bit
included. 1 year license (I hear you need to just renew
the CAL licenses.. MS licensing has gotten rather
confusing, so much so that they have a 1/2 day event
JUST covering licensing in April down in San Diego.)

MS has a LOT of versions of the server. The one included
in the package is actually the better one.
(they are still working on their HyperV version... think
virtualization server... to compete with EMCs VMware
server which runs on the hardware.)

MS Vista Ultimate included in the pack was only 32bit!
( blah can only see 3GB of RAM!!! )

THE NICE thing tho... I THINK THIS APPLIES TO ultimate
as well as enterprise, ... with MS Vista Enterprise you
have a license to run upto 4 Microsoft OSes within the
virtual machines (guess you still need to get the code,
but this will be nice for those of us having to do tech
support and QA.. tho you will still have to call MS
to activate the licenses.. blah... )

best
matti