[SGVLUG] An interesting new tactic from MS...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Sep 19 18:32:14 PDT 2007

During one of my searches, this snippet came up as part of a result:

   "...our top story is about how to build a green data center, but
energy savings can start on the desktop, and one of the best ways to
save approximately $70 per PC, per year is by switching to Windows
Vista. "

And the corresponding link: <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7415537>
(note: I haven't looked at the article itself yet...)

>From the synopsis, it sounds like they are touting the power management
features of Vista as being new-and-improved, and somehow capable of
saving the aforementioned amount.  I wonder what they are using as a
yardstick -- comparison to a system running DOS perhaps?  Most OS's,
even "other windows OS's", will drop down to lower power levels if they
detect no activity from a "user" -- I've even see some that will "sleep"
[suspend-to-disk and physically shut off] if properly configured --
unless Vista's power management has a way of regenerating electricity
and feeding it back into the grid, it's hard to beat "not powered on"
when it comes to saving energy...