[SGVLUG] File system corruption

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Sep 18 17:47:14 PDT 2007

Regarding foremost's license:

> [I wrote]
> As it's on sourceforge, yes, you get the source -- not
> strictly GPL as I understand, but at least "in the public
> domain" (though close reading of the "readme" file doesn't
> state that directly either -- originally this was developed
> by/for someone in the air force special investigations
> department, so...)

Aha -- the last two sections of the MAN page sums it up nicely:

COPYRIGHT
       This program is a work of the US Government. In accordance with
       17  USC 105, copyright protection is not available for any work
       of the US Government.

       This is free software; see the source for  copying  conditions.
       There  is  NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS
       FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

SEE ALSO
       There is more information in the README file.

       Foremost was originally designed to imitate  the  functionality
       of  CarvThis,  a  DOS  program  written by the Defense Computer
       Forensics Lab in in 1999.