[SGVLUG] RHEL repositories

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:30:13 PST 2007

On 10/31/07, Consult Links <consultlinks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> My name is Manny, I am new to the group but I like what I have been reading.
>  You all seem helpful, so I ask the following question, is there any way to
> alter the repositories that RHEL uses to point to the repositories of
> CENTOS?
>
> I am in the process of migrating some Virtual Linux boxes to other
> locations, but want to run updates on the boxes.
>
> Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Well I have never done it, I looked into a RHEL3 to WBEL3 migration
and basically got that it is possable if you change the release
version rpm, and update your yum.repos configuration but it is against
the RHEL EULA. I ended up installing fresh installs of the a RHEL
rebuild (CENTOS or WBEL) and then copying the configuration over,
remenber that the CENTOS and WBEL are binary 100% binary compatable so
you should not have to retest your apps, only make sure that your
config is correct.