[SGVLUG] Partly OT Re: US falling behind .. internet infrastructure

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Oct 11 23:13:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 01:31:23PM -0700, Miguel Hernandez wrote:
> Great. First we fall to 50th in the world in school-age education & now
> this. /sigh

I think that this article is very much overblown and ignoring our real
problems, mainly looming financial collapse of the US with
consequences worse that what happened to Russia after the Soviet Union
broke up.

Broadband can enable people to watch videos, play games, etc. which
can do more harm than good.  Surplus time of people is a very valuable
resource which shouldn't be wasted.  See my Human Energy Accounting:
http://www.lafn.org/~dave/energy/human_energy.html which I'm still
working on and haven't yet discussed the energy value of surplus time.
But it's likely almost equal in energy value to working time due to
the "opportunity cost" (if you've studied Econ.).

Also regarding financial collapse, I've been writing a little about it
over the past 12 years and you'll find it in one disorganized article
at: http://www.lafn.org/~dave/gov/collapse.html I just put it on my
website a few min. ago although it hasn't really been updated in over
a year (except I just added a few sentences and haven't proofread it
yet).  I wrote it because I couldn't find any good long article or
good book on this subject.  Is there now a good book on this topic?

			David Lawyer