[SGVLUG] [OT] Rockets

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Oct 8 10:28:12 PDT 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of Michael Proctor-Smith
>
> Well sense Tom did not say anything about it sense I think he
> was there

I was there, which also means I was NOT near an internet connection...

> the X-wing did not fair to well in the launch here
> is video: [gizmodo link]
>
> I seems that syncing of the thrust from the four widely
> placed rocket motors was it main down fall as it pretty
> quickly veered to the side and disintegrated under the
> aerodynamic stress. But again most commercial rocket will
> disintegrate at that kind of launch angle.

Yes and no -- below is a response to our rocket list from the man who
built the rocket.  When all was said and done, they really didn't expect
it to hold together, but they hoped for (and got) a great "lift off
shot" (and lots of /very/ happy kids got to sit in the cockpit for a
photo opp -- way better than waiting to sit in santa's lap...)