[SGVLUG] SuSE Linux 10.3 out TODAY

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Oct 4 16:20:47 PDT 2007

Thanks to the really "fat" pipe we have where I work, I've downloaded
both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SuSE's "openSuSE 10.3"
distribution today [4GB in about half an hour each...]  If anyone wants
a copy burned for them for the next meeting, speak up now so I know how
many blanks to get at Fry's tonight

Some quick notes from their various "sneak peek" pages and what-not:

  -- full "mp3" support included in the download (for DVD's; if you
download the single-CD installation image, Amarok will post a dialog
stating "cannot /currently/ play mp3's" and has a button on the dialog
to "install it now...")

  -- faster boot time -- down to 20+ seconds from grub to a usable KDE
session (from a previously barely-tolerable 55 seconds...) [though, of
course, highly dependant upon the hardware, but these "benchmarks" were
taken using the same laptop for both 10.2 and 10.3, you mileage will, of
course, vary]  Some of the improvements come from /not scanning the
hardware/ on "every" boot, but rather relying on what Yast installed for
you during the system setup [I presume this means that when you install
new hardware, you'll have to manually kick off a search-and-install
process]

  -- improved "update/upgrade" interface, and consolidation of some
major "community" repositories.  As of 10.3, the Guru repository will be
part of Packman [only SuSE fans will understand the import of this...]
Also provides "one-click" install features for other things (hence the
above amarok "shall I install it for you now?" dialog)

That's about all I remember at the moment.  Like I said, if you are
interested in this distro and DON'T have easy access to a "fat pipe"
connection, let me know and I'll burn a copy for you.

Tom

Note also that the next release of Fedora Core is due out next month
(the 8th?)