THANKS!!! - Re: [SGVLUG] Speaking of events, how did the club-fair go?

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:43:26 PDT 2007

First off, thanks for everyone involved for putting their time & effort at
the event, as well as those others who invest their time & energy to the
site or keeping things running smoothly "behind the scenes." I wish I
could've been there to help out.

As far as expanding our recruitment efforts. Maybe some of the caltech
students aren't aware of the fact that once they become professionals,
they'll most likely be using a Linux distro as their primary OS. For
example, the OS of choice for Forensic Scientists is a Linux distro (can't
remember the name off the top of my head). Then there's others, like
Scientific Linux, that's used in labs & universities around the world as
well. These students could get a major "leg up" by familiarizing themselves
with Linux now instead of trying to play catch-up later. I'm sure there's a
lot more (maybe list members could come up with a few that focus on the
sciences) distros out there that could directly benefit said students. The
trick will be balancing the existing framework while trying to attract
academics (maybe a sister club or "junior" club could facilitate that). Just
some thoughts.

HTH,
--miguel