[SGVLUG] Old reel-to-reel computer tape to give away

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Nov 9 12:15:01 PST 2007

I've got a "student" reel of mainframe tape designed for students to
save their projects on as a substitute for IBM cards.  It's a 7 inch
diameter reel with a 3 5/8 inch hole in the center and is 1/2" wide
tape certified at 800 BPI to 6250 BPI with 9 tracks (9-bits = 1 byte
with parity).  It's got some of my programs on it that have long ago
been transferred to floppies and put on my HD.  I tested it per the
internet by unwinding some of it.  It's probably OK since it unwinds
freely from its own weight.  Some old tapes stick together and when it
unwinds takes the stickum with it and contaminates the head, etc of
the tape reader.
			David Lawyer