[SGVLUG] anyone have experience with a USB laptop HDD enclosure?

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Nov 6 19:10:10 PST 2007

-----Original Message----- Of Munjal Thakkar

... I have a dead laptop and an enclosure ... can anyone elaborate on
which way the enclosure adapter pin out goes? It fits either way, and
the last thing I need is to the have the power pins in the wrong place
and frying the hard drive.....

I absolutely DETEST the practice of saving that millicent or two by
going with a "non-keyed" connector and presuming the end user will "get
it right", but regardless of MY wants, "the almighty buck speaketh", and
companies do what they will ;)

Ok, rant ended -- GENERALLY, I've found that the end of the connector
that holds "pin 1" is usually placed CLOSEST to the power connector.
(on the back of the drive, that is)

For this "enclosure", is there an identifiable/recognizable "top" vs.
"bottom" of the enclosure?  (and further presuming the connector INSIDE
the enclosure is fixed in it's orientation)  Again, I believe it is the
usual case for the drive to be "right side up" in these situations