[SGVLUG] a pxe bootdisk that includes e2fsck?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Nov 6 00:23:18 PST 2007

John E. Kreznar wrote:

> Can't you boot knoppix or ubuntu (cdrom) or tomsrtbt (floppy)?  They
> all include e2fsck.

PXE is the only boot option I have for this laptop though,
unfortunately. The cd-rom is kaput, there's no floppy drive, and the
bios doesn't support usb booting.

*rant* This is the 2nd optical drive I've seen die on this laptop in 2
years, so I'm reluctant to purchase another from the manufacturer (Pro
Star), especially considering they (conveniently) only have the more
expensive ($120) DVD-R drive available now, rather than the ($80)
CD-R/DVD 'combo' drive. I'd rather spend that money on the new Call of
Duty (4)! */rant*  =p

Anyhow, I just tried both pxe versions (ubuntu and knoppix) and (like
debian) neither included e2fsck. =/

However, since I can at least boot into a shell via debian netboot, I'll
try placing e2fsck on a usb drive and mounting/executing it from there.
That should (hopefully) work. =?

I'm reading some notes about tomsrtbt via pxe, and will probably give
that a try if mounting the usb drive via netboot fails.

Thanks for the suggestion, John.

-Sean

---

“The English are not happy unless they are miserable, the Irish are not
at peace unless they are at war, and the Scots are not at home unless
they are abroad”