[SGVLUG] a pxe bootdisk that includes e2fsck?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Mon Nov 5 21:48:01 PST 2007

I need to repair a corrupt file system on my laptop.

'EXT2-fs: Corrupt root inode, run e2fsck
'Kernel Panic - kaput, etc.

The only way I can do so is to boot via PXE/LAN and run e2fsck, which
should (hopefully) solve my problem.

I tried the debian pxe bootdisk, but that doesn't seem to include e2fsck. =/

I then tried the Slackware pxe bootdisk, but I'm unable to boot
successfully due to I/O errors detected on hda7. The fact that I get I/O
errors on hda7 makes no sense to me since there isn't an hda7 in the
partition table, unless the entire partition table is kaput. ??? If
that's the case, then e2fsck probably won't help.

'hda7: bad access: block=0, count=1
'end_request: I/O error, dev 03:07: (hda)

Anyhow, I'd like to find a pxe bootdisk that includes e2fsck so I can
(hopefully) repair the file system.

Any suggestions? *...as I try the next few (dozen) distros down the list...*

Thanks,
Sean