[SGVLUG] Yay Debian - 90k machines for brazil news article

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Nov 1 08:28:14 PST 2007

David Lawyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 04:23:01PM -0400, Robert Leyva wrote:
>> Yay Debian!
>>
>> Seems 90k Debian PCs are going to Brazil.

<snips political / environmental commentary>
>> ...gotta love them even more now.
>>
> Brazil's interest in Linux is nothing new and a number of other
> countries have gotten involved, like Cuba, that was planning on
> requiring the Cuban government to switch to Linux.  There are lots of
> problems one of which is that Linux isn't too well documented, even in
> English.

Um. I have to vehemently disagree with this statement. I think Linux is
incredibly well documented. And no I am not talking about having the
source code and reading through that :)

Take Ubuntu for example. Why do you think its so popular? Well 1) About
90% of everything works out of the box. 2) What little doesn't work out
of the box (for example requiring proprietary drivers) is easily enabled
with a couple mouse clicks. 3) Anything more advanced then that is
easily found in the documentation.

Notice I said documentation. Not a google search (which is the standard
response when people talk about documentation.) No I mean actual written
documentation in one place. What is that place?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ and https://help.ubuntu.com/

Also the forums have a substantial amount of articles on various topics
with good comments. Granted thats not traditional documentation and kind
of drifts into the Google category, but I think its an acceptable balance.

I have used Linux for 10+ years. Since 2.0.30. The documentation has
improved substantially and continues to do so. I run ubuntu on all of my
systems (2 laptops. A media server. A high end vmware server). Its well
documented and supported and everything I need just works.

You should know better then to make comments like that on a Linux list :)

- --
Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com (818) 280 7059
Website: http://www.thewybles.com/~charles
Blog: http://jackshck.livejournal.com

President and CEO of Known Element Enterprises and affiliated companies.
Website: http://www.knownelement.com
Blog: http://siliconvs.blogspot.com