[SGVLUG] Does anyone make...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed May 30 18:53:18 PDT 2007

A bluetooth-based flash memory?

Yeah, I know -- you're thinking "why in the world would anyone want
that?"

Here's my idea: you would use it to store sensitive/personal
information, such as passwords and your pgp/gpg "secret key" -- i.e.,
data that is too important to actually keep "on" your computer, [in case
it gets stolen] but you (almost always) need "ready access" to it all
the time.

This is more for laptops, but consider one of the recent commercials
I've seen -- a guy sits down at a coffee house to use his laptop.
Something distracts him (a lipstick case rolls up against his foot) he
turns to look at the distraction (hands it back to the nice woman who
obviously dropped it) and when he turns back, the only thing left of his
laptop is the power cord. [and when he turns back the other way, the
"distraction" is gone too]

In a case like this, having your GPG "key" on a memory stick or floppy
[generally regarded as a "good practice"] will have walked away with
your computer.  But my idea of a bluetooth-flash memory would allow you
to keep it in your pocket separate from the computer, and yet have
/easy/ access to it when you need it.

Along these lines, I HAVE seen a "device" that is similar in nature -- a
"key" to use your PC or laptop that you keep in your pocket [and, of
course, "windows only"]  When you go "out of range" [10-15'] the
"screensaver" automatically kicks in; when you return, it unlocks.
Unfortunately, as it is ultimately a USB device, someone wanting access
need merely remove the receiver dongle [and/or perhaps boot in "safe
mode" to disable the driver and hence the lockout feature] but this
could go a step further -- by encrypting a file/folder/drive-partition
with your "public" key, you would need your "secret" key to access it,
which of course is in your pocket.  The "thief" would have to remain
within 15' of you to access the contents of the file...

(of course, there may be issues with caching of the secret key "in
memory", so /maybe/ as long as you haven't rebooted, any "unlocked"
files/folders/whatever might still be accessible even if the "key" is
out of range, but at that point I think you're splitting hairs...)