[SGVLUG] Youmail

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:07:24 PDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Robert Cole <robert.cole at support4linux.com> wrote:
> John Jefferson Lowry IV wrote:
> > I actually have been using youmail for a couple months and have really
> > found it handy. If I am going to out of touch, but am expecting a call
> > from someone I will record a message for them letting them know. Very
> > handy. Is it using Asterisk by any chance.

[snip]
> Its actually using HP Opencall but Asterisk has been talked about as a
> possibility for the future.
>
> Robert

So what's HP Opencall?  Asterisk or equiv would have been cool.

I looked at the youmail.com website but it doesn't explain even at a
high level how it works.  Only what it does.  I don't like signing up
for something w/o getting more info first.  How does someone calling
my cell phone number get a personalized greeting?  Do I have to
configure my phone and/or cell plan to forward to another number?
I'll be charged air time for the redirect right?  What area code so I
can make sure it isn't going to some offshore or 900 or 976 premium
rate telephone number.

Can I use this with my landline or only cell phones?

I'm also not keen on giving out my cell number as I've almost been
stung by a web site that offered free ringtones only to discover they
were trying to get me to sign up for a monthly service charge that my
cell phone provider was all too willingly to accommodate.  All it took
was for me to acknowledge the "service message" sent to my phone.
Fortunately I was able to have the charges removed from my bill.

okay, found the small print in the terms of use.  I see the section on
opting-out and turning off notification, but what about disabling the
custom greeting.  how do I revert to using my cell phone carrier's
voice mail?

Now if this thing is anything like Wildfire I may give it a try.  Is
that service even available still?  It was a voice recognition system
that let you manage calls by simply talking to it.  No fumbling for
the keypad which made it great for checking voice mail w/o having to
look at the phone.  A guy I used to work with several years ago swore
by it because it allowed him to check voice mail while riding his
motorcycle.  It even had the ability to notify you of incoming calls
WHILE you were interacting with it.  You could then  choose to take
the call immediately or divert to voicemail.  Now some cell phones
have various levels of voice recognition which is great for outgoing
calls but something that handled both, that would be cool.

looks like Wildfire is still available from a company called
http://www.virtuosity.com/wildfire_services.html

claude