[SGVLUG] Re: My Debian upgrade (boots faster)

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Thu May 3 14:05:46 PDT 2007

David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> writes:

> I just installed something which is newer than Debian Etch.  It's
> the Debian "testing" version which is unstable but newer.

and in a later mail

> It only has [a] bug on my 24-year-old dumb terminal but prior to
> upgrading worked fine on the terminal.  So it's a software bug in
> the dumb terminal interface that almost no one else will likely
> experience.  Well I do have some company.  I just got email last
> night from someone in Slovakia trying to get an even older dumb
> terminal (made in Poland) to work right.

Then

"Emerson, Tom (*IC)" <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> writes:

> It may also be that the "termcap database" has been changed for your
> existing terminal (if the "termtype" that your system detects is
> still the same)

> Admittedly, such a change is highly unlikely UNLESS someone got a
> wild whatever up their <ahem> and decided to REMOVE some "really old
> term types that nobody ever uses anymore" [HAH!]

Not so unlikely.  Debian "testing" departs from earlier Debian distros
in the removal of /etc/terminfo in favor of /lib/terminfo except for
this note in a README:

   This directory is for system-local terminfo descriptions.  By default,
   ncurses will search this directory first, then /lib/terminfo, then
   /usr/share/terminfo.

Having Debian "sarge" and Debian "testing" on neighboring machines
here with one NFS-mounted on the other, it's easy for me to diff the
two directories.  There's definite evidence of change:

   ~ $ diff -r /lib/terminfo /inlet/etc/terminfo
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/E/Eterm and /inlet/etc/terminfo/E/Eterm differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/E/Eterm-color and /inlet/etc/terminfo/E/Eterm-color differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/a/ansi and /inlet/etc/terminfo/a/ansi differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/c/cons25 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/c/cons25 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/l/linux and /inlet/etc/terminfo/l/linux differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/p/pcansi and /inlet/etc/terminfo/p/pcansi differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/r/rxvt and /inlet/etc/terminfo/r/rxvt differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/r/rxvt-basic and /inlet/etc/terminfo/r/rxvt-basic differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/r/rxvt-m and /inlet/etc/terminfo/r/rxvt-m differ
   Only in /lib/terminfo/r: rxvt-unicode
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/s/screen-w and /inlet/etc/terminfo/s/screen-w differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/s/sun and /inlet/etc/terminfo/s/sun differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/v/vt100 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/v/vt100 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/v/vt102 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/v/vt102 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/v/vt220 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/v/vt220 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/v/vt52 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/v/vt52 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/w/wsvt25 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/w/wsvt25 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/w/wsvt25m and /inlet/etc/terminfo/w/wsvt25m differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/x/xterm and /inlet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/x/xterm-debian and /inlet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm-debian differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/x/xterm-mono and /inlet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm-mono differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/x/xterm-vt220 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm-vt220 differ
   Binary files /lib/terminfo/x/xterm-xfree86 and /inlet/etc/terminfo/x/xterm-xfree86 differ

Hope this helps.

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13