[SGVLUG] Should this LUG become a GLUG (GNU/Linux Users Group)?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Mon Mar 19 17:15:14 PST 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 03:53:03AM -0700, Jeff Carlson wrote:
> David Lawyer wrote:
> > Anyway, I've been convinced by Stallman's arguments that it wouldn't
> > be a bad idea to become a GNU/Linux Users Group.  In other words, a
> > GLUG instead of a LUG.
>
> Fortunately (at least for RMS), I have heard dumber ideas.  So I can't
> honestly say this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  It's up there,
> though.
>
> As many of you know, I participate in a lot of LUGs here in Southern
> California.  I don't know if this particular group has any sort of
> charter or mandate to only support Linux or excuse me, GNU/Linux, but
> most of the LUGs actually have a lot broader vision than that.

Well "GNU/Linux" is aka "Linux" so adding "GNU" doesn't add any
restriction to supporting other unix-like operating systems.  It's to
remind people that originally almost all of Linux consisted of GNU
software plus the Linux Kernel, plus some other free programs like a
vi-clone.  These were all free software and GNU had developed an
extensive system of free software except for the kernel (which turned
out to be vaporware).  Today it's not all free software like the GNU
project (and Stallman) intended it to be and that's kind of sad.

> I know that for a fact, the presidents of both SCLUG and SFVLUG have
> stated that LUG is just a simplification, and they welcome open
> source BSD as well.  Furthermore the USCLUG specifically states they
> support all types of Unix (like UUASC, not officially a LUG).
> Making this distinction of being a GLUG is exclusionary and it
> doesn't really foster a greater sense of community among all open
> source users.  I personally feel it defeats the general intent of a
> LUG, to support all users of open source software.
>
> Sure, RMS and others within the FSF would argue they don't support
> open source, but really, is it in the best interest of a user group
> to portray such an elitist attitude?  I'll admit, I'm already pretty
> elitist when it comes to Linux vs Windows, but do we need to extend
> that to Linux vs FreeBSD or even Linux vs OpenSolaris?  I hope not.

Debian is now Debian GNU/Linux and they have non-free stuff in the
distribution.  So adding GNU doesn't exclude anything.  It's reminds
people that Linux originated from GNU just as much as it originated
from Linus.  And GNU seems to be about the only organization today
strongly supporting the ideal of free software.
			David Lawyer