[SGVLUG] Should this LUG become a GLUG (GNU/Linux Users Group)?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sat Mar 17 23:54:44 PST 2007

There's a HOWTO on LUGs and I noticed that we are not permitted to
list our LUG with the GNU (Free Software Foundation) lug list unless we
are a GNU/Linux group.  That is, we would need to change our name.
It's not a very important list yet for people looking for a glug/lug
since it excludes lugs.

Stallman argues for GNU/Linux UGs.  See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html Why GNU/Linux?
Here's a GNU blurb on GNU User Groups
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-user-groups.html

I agree with the idea, but unfortunately, it will not help all that
much in getting more free software and less non-free software.  So
far, very few Lugs have taken this step in the US, but a lot in India
have (or perhaps it's because they are likely newer and were organized
when there was a campaign to use GNU/Linux).

Anyway, I've been convinced by Stallman's arguments that it wouldn't
be a bad idea to become a GNU/Linux Users Group.  In other words, a
GLUG instead of a LUG.

			David Lawyer