[SGVLUG] managing /etc - cvs everything?

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Mon Mar 12 14:48:12 PST 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Claude Felizardo wrote:

> I'm working on rebuilding my Linux server at home and have just setup
> rsnapshot to do the backups but was wondering if anyone has used CVS
> or equiv to track all of the system config files in say /etc?  With

Hi Claude,

On a single box install, anytime I touch a file in /etc I would create an
RCS directory and put the file under RCS. Indeed this is a pretty
good practise with config files anywhere.

Anything else is overkill really. This is not really about backups, you
should still be backing up your box (including those RCS directories).

As far as package managers handling changed config files. It tends to Just
Work, but even if it doesn't, you have the RCS file to go back to.

If you're installing large numbers of identical systems then you'll have a
build server, and the configurations are centrally held behind that using
CVS. This may be outside the scope of your problem.

Cheers,

Al