[SGVLUG] Off-topic - solar power - city of pasadena

James Neff jneff at tethyshealth.com
Fri Mar 9 12:24:16 PST 2007

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> The problem is how the system is wired into your electrical system.
> You probably have to wire the system with more then on circuit breaker
> panel so that only some of the circuits in the house are wired to run
> off solar but not all so that when the grid power fails your system
> disconnects from the grid but is not overloaded by things inside your
> house. If only I was good at asci diagrams but the cheap way to add a
> grid tie system would lead to all power shutting off when the grid
> did.

Completely unrelated ....

My grandfather lives in Florida, way out in the boonies.  He has a 4K
watt gasoline generator and a male-male 30 amp (home made) cable that he
connects to his generator and clothes dryer outlet.  He claims its
"legal" if he remembers to turn flip the master breaker before
connecting his generator to the house.  Go gramps!