[SGVLUG] laptop LoJack

James Neff jneff at tethyshealth.com
Fri Jun 22 06:21:40 PDT 2007

Claude Felizardo wrote:

> Has anyone done anything similar?
> Interesting idea.
>
> claude

I thought I read an article a few months back about someone doing this
with the SETI at Home project.  The guy had SETI at Home loaded on his laptop
and it was a part of a group.  Someone stole it but plugged it in to the
Internet, which I'm assuming from reading the article the SETI at Home
records your public IP address.  He monitored his group's members, and
when his laptop connected again to SETI at Home he got the IP address and
notified the authorities.  The article said he did recover his laptop.

I thought about doing this for our laptops here where I work.  Last year
one of them grew legs and walked out the door.  We are pretty sure it
was a cleaning person.

In addition to getting laptop security cables, I also signed us up for
McAfee's Total Protection for Small Businesses.  This is an anti-virus
system that hourly checks in with McAfee for updates.  When I sign in to
McAfee to manage the clients it does display the private IP address that
laptop is using.  I'm sure McAfee records the public address as well,
but have been meaning to ask them.

--James