[SGVLUG] laptop LoJack

juanslayton at dslextreme.com juanslayton at dslextreme.com
Thu Jun 21 20:32:08 PDT 2007

> Basically the idea is set your laptop to report it's IP to one of
> those dynamic DNS services normally used to find your DHCP address
> when you aren't at home.  If your laptop is stolen and the idiot turns
> it on with a connection to the internet, you can look at the DNS entry
> at the website and find where it is.
>
> Has anyone done anything similar?
> Interesting idea.
>
> claude

     I haven't done it, but I've thought about it for years, and not just
for laptops.  (Our school has lost its fair share of computers to
theft.)  My idea was something like a cron job that would dial a
number where I have caller ID.  But of course this would only work if
the thief was using a dialup ISP.

JWS