[SGVLUG] Loss of keyboard function on screen 1 of two

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:30:18 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:

> "Claude Felizardo" <cafelizardo at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Any particular reason why you prefer separate X window sessions
> > instead of xinerama?  I much prefer being able to drag windows from
> > one screen to another ...
>
> Yes!
>
> > and especially being able to stretch a window as wide as possible
> > when looking at logs and reports.
>
> Yes!
>
> I wanted to use xinerama, but there was some obstacle.  Rummaging
> around now to find it...
>
> ...Now I can't even find the documentation for it!  One of my Debian
> sid installations has xserver-xorg-core version 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-2 and
> that has man pages for xorg.conf and Xserver which at least mention
> xinerama.  Another sid installation here has version 1:1.0.2-5 which
> doesn't even have that.  A Debian 3.1 (sarge) box here has man X from
> xfree86-common version 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14sarge3, but no mention of
> xinerama.
>
> It seems that the transition from xfree86 to xorg.conf has left the
> documentation in shambles.
>
> It may be that the problem was heterogeneous screens.  One has an ati
> driver (possibly soon to be supplanted by that Diamond Viper AGP from
> Eric Theis) and 1280x1024 resolution, the other a trident driver and
> 1024x768 resolution.

Oh yeah.  I forgot about that.  I ran into that problem long time ago
so I have always used video cards with dual outputs so I don't have to
worry about it.  I think i'm on my 4th card now.  But other than
possibly a restriction that all screens operate at the same color
depth, i believe xinerama has supported different video cards and
different resolutions for quite some time now.

A google search on xinerama gave plenty of hits.  Heck, there's even a
wikipedia entry now.

Oh, this site has a multihead how-to dated 2002
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO