[SGVLUG] 64 bit computing

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 16:37:30 PDT 2007

Hi,

OK... so.. I was wondering which chips are 64 bit
chips now.

looks like SOME chips were partially 64 bit
(memory addressing).. but still 32bit cores..

I KNOW AMD went 64bit early... and Intel was
32 bit for a long time (except for their high
end servers.. read "cost more" chips)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

I believe MS main OSes are still only 32bit?
(but maybe 64bit for memory handling?)

I recall my supercomputing days, that we
really really liked 64bit processing...

So, does anyone know where to find a listing
of what actually is a 64bit chip? OR has things
quietly become 64bit all over the place and
I just missed the big announcement???

thanks
matti