[SGVLUG] Loss of keyboard function on screen 1 of two

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jun 12 09:46:05 PDT 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of John E. Kreznar
>
> X has been up for 60 days on this machine and I don't want to
> take it down unnecessarily.  Ideas?

Fortunately, restarting "X" isn't as drastic as restarting the entire
system, so unless you have an overriding desire for your uptime report
to reflect X itself, I wouldn't worry about a restart.

Do you run your system "in graphical mode" [GDM/KDM/XDM], or do you log
in to a console and issue a "startx" command to get the GUI?  Either
from within X itself.  If you're running one of the dm's, it should
automatically respawn and you should be see your login screen.  If you
started via startx, you'll probably see some diagnostic type info
regarding the shutdown of X and you'll be left at a prompt, still logged
in as your user.