[SGVLUG] Xen and nVidia...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Jun 6 10:43:32 PDT 2007

> -----Original Message----- Of Michael Proctor-Smith
>
> First are you sure that nvidia does not work with the first
> semi-native linux domain. [I presume you meant a ? Here...]

Umm, yes, actually -- nvidia's installer flat out stated "this will not
work with xen" and aborted.  Unfortunately, I had already installed the
nvidia driver for the normal kernel, so the xorg.conf file has already
been altered to use the nvidia driver.  As a result, when I try to run
the xen kernel it fails to load the nvidia module and I'm left at a
console login [not a big deal for me, but a little disconcerting as the
"first thing" most people are going to do once they get suse installed
is update the driver, unaware that this is global to all kernels...]

> Well I would try patching the binary driver as it is probably
> just an issue with the wrapper code and not an actual change
> to the binary blob. [...]

I did see there is a patch procedure outlined on the opensuse wiki.  I
may try that, but the instructions mention an explicit version, and
nvidia has released a more recent version since...

> [...] Under red hat there is a line in
> /etc/inittab # Run xdm in runlevel 5
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> You could have this make a differant call, you can have
> differant configs/drivers in the same xorg.conf which you can
> call by name. Also you can probably use the open nv driver
> and get more 2d acceleration.

How do I go about this?  It sounds like it is what I want [both drivers
configured in the same file, just using what is appropriate per
kernel...]