[SGVLUG] bcrypt alternative?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Jun 5 15:39:42 PDT 2007

I recently received an external hdd that contains about 10gb worth of
sensitive files that were encrypted individually using bcrypt.

*Why the person decided to use bcrypt instead of GnuPG, I don't know,
but anyhow...*

I've installed the latest version of bcrypt, and began to decrypt the
files, only to find that it takes approx. 2gb of ram to decrypt files
between 100-200MB in size.

There are a bout 8 files that are > 500Mb in size, and I'm unable to
decrypt any of said files using a system that has 14.5GB of free (16GB
total) memory.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm SOL, unless someone can recommend
an application that can decrypt blowfish-encrypted files, particularly
ones that were encrypted using bcrypt.

I found 'mcrypt' and wanted to perhaps give it a try, but I'm unable to
compile it from source on either RHEL4 (as one generally expects) or
Slackware 10.2 (surprisingly).

Any suggestions?

I assume I'm simply SOL. =/

PS: I already tried asking these questions on irc.freenode.net:#crypto
with no luck. =/

Thanks,

--
Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA

sean at seanodonnell.com
http://seanodonnell.com

PGP Public Key ID: 0xF57FB9E5
PGP Public Key Server: http://pgp.mit.edu

*The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own
reason for existing.*