[SGVLUG] Xen and nVidia...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jun 5 14:33:10 PDT 2007

...doesn't work (per nVidia)

My new laptop has an nVidia card, so naturally I want to use the
vendor-supplied driver, but it seems it won't work with a "xen" enabled
kernel.  The (open)Suse wiki, however, has an article on how to patch
the binary driver so that it will work, but that seems a bit dicey to
me...

So I'm looking for an alternative, and what comes to mind is to somehow
accomplish the following:

  1) when booting with the "default" kernel, us the accellerated nvidia
driver
  2) when booting with the "xen" kernel, revert to the standard VESA/fb
driver

Any thoughts on how I would go about this?