[SGVLUG] Ipod on Linux [errata on settings]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jun 4 17:54:06 PDT 2007

Previously, I wrote

>   1) open iTunes when ipod is connected -- when on, plugging
> in the iPod causes iTunes to launch, and depending on the
> next setting, eradicate whatever is on the pod and replace it
> with your current iTunes DB
>
>   2) manually manage [default: off] -- when on, erases the
> ipod [if synced to a "different" library] and syncs either
> all items, or only the items "checked" in the various pages
> [videos/pictures are managed separately from music]

I had written this one way, then changed things around, so some things
got garbled in the translation -- I should have noted that "open itunes
when connected" defaults to "on", and that when "manually manage" is
OFF, it automatically replaces the contents of the iPod with "whatever
is selected for synchronization", which will make this next paragraph
make better sense:

> So, "by default", plugging in an iPod to "a different
> computer" will cause it to be erased and reloaded from
> scratch.  Unchecking the first item gives you the dialog I
> mentioned above, and checking the second keeps it from
> deleting existing content.

On the plus side, however, I believe these settings are retained by the
iPod itself, so plugging it into a "foreign" computer that happens to
have iTunes installed shouldn't overwrite your library if you've changed
these settings.