[SGVLUG] FileSystem Limitations?

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Fri Jul 13 11:07:43 PDT 2007

So the thread about weapons and the results are interesting, but how
about something different.

I am curious how do they commercially format large drives with the File
System FAT32, specifically drives greater than 200 gigs.

The situation is that I am help a friend recover data from an external
drive.  I have recovered the data using my Linux box.  I have replaced
it with another drive.  The new drive is also an external drive; both
drives are EIDE in an USB enclosure.  The drive is 250 (marketing)
Gigs.  This user would more than likely connect this drive to various
systems, of course the predominant system with be some variation of
Microsoft.  I used Ubuntu Linux to format the drive as a single
partition with a FAT32 File System.  I intended this external drive to
be the same easy connection as most commercial drives so that the user
can connect it to any system, Microsoft, Mac, Linux, etc.  After
formating the drive is seen in Linux as a single 250 Gig Partition in
FAT32 just fine.  Data can be saved and deleted from the drive like it
should.  However, on a Windows 2000 Pro or XP (SP2) box the drive is
seen, but the File System is not understood.  I could easily chalk it of
to stupidity of Microsoft and their attempts at File Systems.  Since
they created FAT32 several years ago, you'd think they actually know how
to read the damn thing.  So besides mounting the 250gig drive on the
Windows box and reformatting it as NTFS what are my options.  I'd really
like to know how companies such as Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital,
IOmega, etc. format their drives and ship them out the door in FAT32.

Thanks in Advance.

Mic
North Hollywood, CA
N34° 8'33.02"