Why you should hold the butt against your shoulder (was: Re:[SGVLUG] hp tech support! - take this!!!)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Jul 12 15:55:35 PDT 2007

Such a fun OT just before a meeting...

> -----Original Message----- Of Michael Proctor-Smith
[...]
> > Some of those looked like they'd not even snugged the butt
> up against
> > their shoulder, which would really suck. [...]
>
> So lesson here is to never fire a .577 T-Rex ever. But that
> video is an example of why the video that started all this
> was not a guy fireing a .50cal.

So, I tend to exagerate... ;)  [yeah, weight and size would be a better
reason why I was wrong on the caliber, though I was guestimating from
the chain of bullets draped over the guy doing the vid -- then again, he
might have donned a larger caliber "belt" for dramatic effect...]

But as pointed out in the next message, THAT gun did not have a
(semi)auto mechanism which would have taken up a significant amount of
the "recoil"

Consider a tripod-mounted .50 cal there is no way a flimsy tripod/bipod
"mount" that you see in war vids (or, for that matter a unipod in the
back of a jeep) would keep a gun with that much kick "on target" for the
second shot...

In any case, who wouldn't want to have this around:

http://www.extremesportclips.com/video/1469/Mini-Machine-Gun.html