Guns go bang! (was: Re: [SGVLUG] hp tech support! - take this!!!)

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Thu Jul 12 14:15:27 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:19:41AM -0700, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> Yes, the tumble bullet is why other then a single solder being able to
> carry more rounds

This is the one I believe--well, actually, also that you can put more
rounds on a pallet and ease the logistical pressure slightly.

> ...that the US adopted the .223(5.56mm). Down sizing to
> a lighter .22 caliber from the .30cal(7.62mm) rounds that had been the
> standard. The claim is that the high velosity low mass .223 round
> tumbles after hitting a person and acctually causes more damage then
> the higher energy .30cal that they replaced.

More than a .30 carbine, maybe. :-)  Otherwise, it's easily demonstrated
to be not true.

Then there's the old .45-70. :-)

> The sad part is that all our ammo designed to wound poeple is
> acctually a burden on our selves currently. As we tend to shoot the
> irregular we are currently fighting and the care for them as well.

Mmm, good point.

Dustin

--
    "Intolerance?  The *truth* is intolerant." -- le Faux

The small binary attachment on every message I send is my PGP digital
signature, not a virus.  If you don't know what that is, you can ignore it.
If you do, my keyserver is pgp.mit.edu.