[SGVLUG] Anyone using PPPoE?

THE_A_Guy fallennite at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 21:33:16 PST 2007

Before configuing a linksys router you need to findout what type of modem the provider offers. Most modems that are issued by DSL companys are actually routers. PPPoE can be setup in the modem or the router. By any chance do you know the phone service providerat the location? More than likely Oklahoma would be SBC/AT&T. i would suggest getting a netopia 3346 modem due to the ability to remote into the modem

  Andy (Sleepy guy)

Dustin Laurence <dustin at laurences.net> wrote:
  On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 07:50:35PM -0800, THE_A_Guy wrote:

> Im glad to help if you still need it. I do need some information for
> me to help you tho.
>
> Provider: ?
>
> Modem Model/series?
> Router Model/series?

Actually, I haven't bought it yet. :-) I was thinking of buying a
Linksys, and debating whether to put OpenWRT on it (the only reason not
to is nobody else could help them if they had trouble, but at least it
would run reliably without needing rebooting as the Linksys firmware
seems to).

Their provider is in Oklahoma, but all I had in mind was to just test it
here. I've never used PPPoE before, so the odds that I can get away
with putting in their username and password and have it work with zero
configuration improve if I can actually make sure it works elsewhere.

Dustin