[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Matthew Gallizzi matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 15:45:33 PST 2007

Thank you for your response. Answers below -

On 1/2/07, Bryan Backer <bbacker at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> Since you're ruled out the normal problems, how about something
> from the 'grasping at straws' bucket? :)

Hm, this must be a cliche I haven't heard :D

Perhaps it's the momentary switch that PCs use for power down?

Doubt it. I've tried 3 cases with different switches.

It's bad (intermittent short) or very sensative to static so
> the switch is causing a power down? Depending on the
> physical design of the box, the switch could be
> exposed outside your case so static is affecting it.

I've tried 3 cases... with and without the power switch connected to the
motherboard... 20+ times.

If you disconnect the momentary switch from the motherboard
> (the switch is in the case of course - attached via a header
> to your MB) and instead use two jumper wires to turn on/off, do you
> still experience the problem?

Yes.

No idea if it will help, but you could try your current setup but
> with reset switch and power switch not connected to MB headers.

With the case open, use a wire or something to short th MB power ON/OFF
> momentary switch to turn the computer on, then close the case.
> Now try your various status electricity tests to see if you can
> get the machine to shut down. If you can, forget my suggestion. :)

I can :)

If the machine now stays up, perhaps try swapping out
> power switch/headers/connectors. If nothing, try the same with
> reset switch/header/connector.
>
> For the record, I've never had a static problem like this, but
> I did have a similar problem once when cramming a small form
> factor MB into a wooden box and my home-made power connector
> kept getting bumped - power on. power off. power on. power off.
>
> bb

Thanks bb. Basically, since I've done *everything* possible to test this and
spent 40+ hours with this issue (last week) ... I have decided to just use
it, and not force static. So far, I have had no issues... plugged in USB
devices, accidently shocked it a few times... etc. I think it has only shut
down on me once. I'm going to live with it since I've ruled out all possible
variable I can think of (for the most part) ... and no one else (50+ people
not including SGVLUG) knows what's going on. Since I've ruled out all
variable and no advice has solved my problem, I've decided this was the luck
that was thrown upon me from up above - and I must make do. :D

--
Matthew Gallizzi