[SGVLUG] Off-topic - home guerrilla solar systems

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Tue Feb 27 18:40:40 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 03:10:42AM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 02:27:25PM -0800, Dustin Laurence wrote:
>
> > Just as a back-of-the-envelope thing it's a bit complicated.  The
> > annual military budget is ~$5.3*10^9 for FY 2007, and the population
> > is about 3*10^6, or about $1700 per person per year.
>
> What?  Just the alleged cost of defending oil was ~40*10^9.  I found a

It would be nice if I could keep all the digits, wouldn't it?  My point
in any case wasn't really numerical--it was about what someone should
do, right, in order to calculate energy costs.

> > Don't you long for the simple days when good citizenship just meant
> > voting, cleaning up after yourself, volunteering for the fire
> > department, and serving in the military if there was a war? :-)
>
> It wasn't so simple.  What about evaluating Upton Sinclair's proposed
> Epic plan to end poverty in California in 1934 when he ran for
> governor?

It would take me approximately 1.3 seconds to evaluate any economic
proposal of Upton Sinclair.

> ...Or the
> President Kennedy assassination conspiracy?

It takes a similar amount of time to evaluate conspiracy theories.

Dustin

--
The small binary attachment on every message I send is my PGP digital
signature, not a virus.  If you don't know what that is, you can ignore it.