[SGVLUG] Off-topic - ac vs. dc

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat Feb 24 12:38:18 PST 2007

In addition to the issues already mentioned, AC allows the use of very
simple brushless motors (there are brushless DC motors but IIRC they are
much more complex--this was probably more of an issue back when we
invested in the power grid than now, but paid-for infrastructure counts
for a lot).  It's nice not to have to parts that wear out periodically,
and IIRC brushes actually produce a great deal of electrical noise.

And power companies supply a sufficiently accurate frequency to use as a
oscillator for cheap electric clocks.

Finally, I seem to recall that DC tends to do more damage if you get
shocked, though I'm not sure why.  Edison's propaganda about AC being
dangerous was apparently the reverse of the truth.

Dustin

--
The small binary attachment on every message I send is my PGP digital
signature, not a virus.  If you don't know what that is, you can ignore it.