[SGVLUG] Off-topic - home guerrilla solar systems

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Wed Feb 21 10:19:06 PST 2007

How could I hate our group? Never!

For me, I just look forward to steadily pumping about 100W back into my
house's system during bright sunny days.

It is my version of Deep Space One with it's ion thruster: I know 100W
isn't much at any given time, but every sunny day, for a good hand full of
hours I'll be reducing my electrical load from the utility. In the long
term I know it makes a difference.

For the long haul I might eventually like to get up to producing 500W,
which means I could probably have no power coming from the utility during
a good part of the day (assuming 500W is enough to overcome the
refrigerator's load, and whatever other small loads (clocks and such) that
run all the time.

On the weekends on hot days, the 500W would even mean my small window air
conditioner (it's about 5000BTU and says it uses about 500W) would not put
a load on the utilities either.

But for now, a thousand dollars and 100W is what I am willing to try. I
will keep everyone posted, and even put pics up on a web site somewhere.
For now, I am at the "I'm gonna do it" stage, but haven't started to
purchase anything. I now need to research what stuff to get, and what
products are considered reliable, and cost effective, etc. I want whatever
I build to last trouble-free for at least a decade.

> hah, wow i have a lot to learn
> what happened to the topic of solar panel system? original poster must
> hate
> his mailing group =PPPP

"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva