[SGVLUG] SQL Question - UPDATE

Greg Stark gstark at electrorent.com
Mon Feb 19 13:54:50 PST 2007

I can't seem to wrap my mind around this problem.

I need to update a column in a table(1) where the source comes from another
table(2) base on a value from that row for the whole table(1).  What I do
not want to do is loop through table(2).  Let me illustrate.

Table1 has columns: FullState, State + other columns
Table2 has just columns: FullState, State

I want to update the State in Table1 with the State in Table2
where Table1.FullState = Table2.FullState

UPDATE Table_1
SET State = [Table_2].[State]
FROM Table_2
WHERE [Table_1].[FullState]=[Table_2].[FullState]Thank you.

Greg