[SGVLUG] SCALE - anyone got a review?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Mon Feb 12 12:53:46 PST 2007

Christopher Smith wrote:
> Let me guess, you dual-boot this machine, right? Windows sets the
> hardware clock to localtime, whereas Linux does the sane thing and has
> the local clock set to UTC and then does the timezone calculation as
> needed. You need to fix your /etc/localtime.

haha, actually, no. It's not a dual-boot, nor did I set the hardware
clock to UTC (ever).

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> Sense your times are off by 8 hours and we happen to be 8 hours ahead
> of UTC at this time that would seem to confirm it. On my redhatish
> system there is a file called /etc/localtime which is exactly the same
> as /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles the file commant revials
> that the file is of type timezone data my guess is that you need to
> change your /etc/localtime file to the correct one for PST.

Since I'm using Slackware, and there is no /etc/localtime, I simply used
the 'timeconfig' command, and that seemed to sort it all.

$ date
Mon Feb 12 12:44:46 PST 2007

I believe that last time I set it by using the 'date -s' and then
'hwclock --set' commands, but I guess that didn't actually set it to
PST. I could have sworn that it did...

Anyhow, thanks guys.