[SGVLUG] POSIX Thread Limitation (increase?)

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Fri Dec 14 11:55:43 PST 2007

Hi All,

I'm currently doing some performance testing of a multi-threaded
application that seems to be reaching it's limit of (approx. 300) threads.

I was curious if there is a way to increase the posix thread-limit
without having to recompile the kernel or patch any libraries (such as
glibc, which I've read is one way to do it).

Can this be achieved with the 'ulimit' command? or is there a variable
in a configuration file somewhere that I can simply modify?

I've been searching google and have found similar questions but no
answers, aside from 'pacthing glibc', which I'd like to avoid doing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Sean