[SGVLUG] jEdit on Debian (etch) 32-bit?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Dec 11 23:10:57 PST 2007

I'm unable to get jEdit running on a Debian etch 32-bit system, but am
able to get it running on a Debian etch 64-bit system. It's installed,
but won't run.

The problem seems to be that I can't install one of the required java
packages (ia32-sun-java5-bin), since there is only a 64-bit compatible
release of that package.

I wouldn't normally seek advice here for such issues, but I've posted my
comments to the debian-user mailing list, and have received no response.

http://tinyurl.com/3xjo2t

Anybody here using Debian etch on a 32-bit system and able to get jEdit
running? ...or know what package I can use as an alternative to
ia32-sun-java5-bin on a 32-bit system?

Thanks,

Sean