Real Linux Men (was: [SGVLUG] Guns, 4WD...and Linux)

Solomon K. Chang skevin521 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:49:56 PDT 2007

No, you didn't give up your manhood by mentioning Linux, but Real Geek Men use Real
Geek Weapons.  Taking a cue from this site:

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/turn-a-flashlight-into-a-handheld-burning-laser-287252.php

...I decided to order some laser diodes and a good inverter from Soutth Korea.  I am
currently in the process of mounting them inside the barrels of a Warhammer 40K
Predator (model of a futuristic tank).  The main body will house the inverter, and it
will have a 12' power cord.  Assuming that the beam doesn't contact the inside of the
barrels when it's turned on, I should have a 40K Predator with a working Lascannon by
the end of next month*.  I'm hoping to get to 3 watts, which will do more that just
simply light matches or pop balloons, if the laser diode doesn't overload and burn out
first.
And no, I will not be mounting these on sharks any time soon.  Sharks are too likely to
pull the power cord out the socket if they swim too far...

* The Lascannon barrels are pretty small bore, so I may have to use the included
Autocannon turret instead.  It won't be true to the 40K universe, but hey, it's a toy
tank that can actually burn things!

Solomon