[SGVLUG] Worms w/social engineering at no extra cost!

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Apr 25 17:41:20 PDT 2007

I just received an "alert" from our e-mail admins about yet another
"social engineering" worm that seems to be wreaking havoc on the 'net
today.  I suppose I should file this under "I can't believe people STILL
fall for this crap, but..."

  -- it has an attachment (a .rar, in fact, which is a little uncommon)
  -- it has a block of "official" sounding text warning you that if you
don't unpack-and-install the attachment, your account will be blocked
  -- it comes from a "customer service robot", so obviously you
shouldn't reply to it ;)
  -- it even goes to far as to place a password on the supposed
"archive" (what, are they trying to make you think that the "worm" won't
be able to open/infect the archive if it has a password?  Hello, the
archive IS the worm...)

And yes, I know "nobody" here will have to worry about it (directly),
but be prepared to be called upon as "the guy who knows everything about
computers" when your friends' windows-based computers start acting
funky... ;)

Tom

(tell them, "Hey, I got this great anti-virus software -- it's so great
the entire OS is immune to 95% of what's out there" ;) )