[SGVLUG] Future Cool Tools topics

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Fri Apr 13 10:00:38 PDT 2007

OK, folks, I haven't been doing Cool Tools topics and not enough people
have picked up the slack.  I offered to do a "how to get associative
arrays in shell even though it doesn't have associative arrays" quickie
next time, but perhaps nobody wants to see that?  Basically, it amounts
to how to make the equivalent of this work:

array["key"] = "value" # Associate "value" with "key"
var="$array["key"]"    # Retrieve "value" and store in $var

though obviously with a very different syntax.

However, if this is going to be an eye-glazer for everyone I won't
bother.  Does anyone care about shell scripting that doesn't already
know it?  We could actually do "shell scripting from scratch" as either
a main presentation or as a series of shorts.  Would anyone care?  The
only reason to go to the trouble is if there is an interested audience.

More generally, it would be useful if people would mention what sorts of
topics would help them.  What problems do people actually have that
*might* be doable in ten minutes?  What topics do people want for a
full-length presentation?

Dustin

--
    "Intolerance?  The *truth* is intolerant." -- le Faux

The small binary attachment on every message I send is my PGP digital
signature, not a virus.  If you don't know what that is, you can ignore it.
If you do, my keyserver is pgp.mit.edu.