[SGVLUG] iptables problem

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:31:22 PDT 2007

Anyone else out there have servers available behind there firewall but
can not access them from behind there firewall? I have a couple of
servers behind my linux based router(openwrt) namely sgvlug and my
personal server. They are available from the outside world and when
connected wirelessly(which is on a different subnet) but when you are
on the inside lets say 192.168.5.X address you can not access the
outside ip address which is a SNAT to another 192.168.5.X address.

The only thing that I found that seems to apply to this problem that
google found for me was to disable icmp redirects which are the
default thing sense the two hosts are on the same ethernet segment.
This did not make a difference.

I know I could solve this problem with dns and is what I used to do
and have done when I was behind a cisco firewall and cisco said it was
not possible. But I would have to serve different dns results to my
wireless and wired network, and I would like for it to work correctly
and not be a kludge.